Friday, February 03, 2006

Raat baaki

Sleeplessness has taken its toll on me this week. (Ask my roomies and they will raise an eyebrow and say "Yeah, Right!!" ). Gets up at half past eleven and still speaks of insomnia...But then, I sleep late guys. Staying awake till 1 am to catch Simpsons on Star World has become commonplace. Even after that sleep eludes me for an hour or two...

The night before yesterday, I was gazing at the little amount of sky visible from my window. Thankfully, it was cloudless, and I could see some stars, twinkling away, as if someone was sending a coded message to someone else in this wide vast universe.

Watching the sky, the moon, the stars in constellations, makes you feel so humble. It shows you your place in the scheme of things. So tiny, so insignificant, so helpless. Yet we keep on harping on power and authority every time we get a chance. The cool breeze wafting along brings the scent of jasmine, and you inhale it with your eyes closed, and for that single fleeting moment, you are one with nature. You may get another chance when you take a second breath, but it never gives you the heavenly feeling, and this knowledge gives you goose-pimples on your arms. You rub your palms on your arms, and go back to the warmth of your rug.

Yesterday, I was listening to soulful songs by Lucky Ali, including my fave "Nahin rakhta dil mein kuch". I listened to the entire CD once, and then put it in shuffle and repeat. The player was OFF when I woke up, and the earphones were not entwined to my body, and I dont know whether it was me, or the roomies who put it off, and away. The player even had some power to play some songs today morning.

Strangely, even though I was listening to Lucky Ali, it was this song by Rafi, which was doing rounds in the back of my mind.

aaj ki raat, yeh kaisi baat, ke humko neend nahi aati
meri jaan aao, baiTho paas, ke humko neend nahi aati...aaj ki raat.

machal uTha ye dil naadan, baDa ziddi baDi mushkil
khuda ko bhi mana loon main, magar mane na rooTha dil
tumhi dekho karo koi baat, ke humko neend nahi aati
meri jaan aao, baiTho paas, ke humko neend nahi aati...aaj ki raat.

Guess I'll listen to some Rafi tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

twinkling stars, cool breeze, jasmine.... dude, u were so not in the city! Kaheen aur, door kisi jagah par the! And it shows, the high!

Btw, do u catch FRIENDS too? My fav.

Viky said...

Lee ji, my window is my fav place. The stars were visible, and you do get a cool breeze, though the jasmine was a bit surreal.

I catch FRIENDS too, and watch Cartoon Network till its time for SIMPSONS.