Wednesday, July 19, 2006

What would you do?

I'm usually not bothered by mood swings. I do feel down sometimes, because I spend some time alone brooding on things past, present and future, but its not something that affects my daily routine. But once in a blue moon, I really get pissed off at things, and feel low - down and out - for no apparent reason. And when I am like this, I am best left alone. Those who attempt to talk to me, are either snubbed "I don't want to talk" or get the cold shoulder. Very rarely does someone actually succeed in probing me enough to get to the root of it all. Usually its the pent up feelings of not being able to do something, or something which fizzes out like a no-brainer, when I was very eagerly looking forward to it.

A particular Sunday was like that. I was acting very cranky. Silly thoughts wandering in my mind, and the whole of that weekend, all the forces of nature seemed to have conspired to make me feel miserable.

It was then that she called. And I'm glad she did. For the first time in many months. Even though we don't speak often, I cherish the conversations I have had with her. That day she chose to speak on Ayn Rand. Given the mood I was in, philosophy was the last thing I wanted to discuss. I kept looking at a tree from my window, while she was going on...and the conversations took an inane turn.

Her: "What are you doing now?"
Me: "Looking at a tree."
Her: 'Are there any birds?"
Me: "No."
Her: "Oh, they must have gone to find some food."

We spoke like this about the birds, trees and the sky, till she brought up "Bruce Almighty". And popped a question - "What would you do if you were God?"

My mood was out, and I was looking at the ants walking in a line on the windowsill, and I had no spontaneous answer. After a lot of hemming and hawing, I ventured, " I don't know. I've never thought of it before. Being God....hmmm" and trailed off. Then I asked "Tell me, what would you do?"

Her answer stumped me and shook the bad languor of my mood.

"You know what," she said, "I wouldn't do anything. I'm happy the way it is now".
"But, surely you would want something. If not for yourself, wouldn't you do anything for others?"
"No. Because I don't need supernatural powers to do that. You don't have to be God to do something for others. You can do it being yourself, too."
"But.."
"Tell me, why would you need to be God to help others? What prevents you from doing it now?"

I could only nod, while I listened to her, and looked at the ragpicker rummaging for something in the dustbin on the road below. What prevented me from helping him. Nothing.

She changed the topic soon and we were again talking on mundane topics like the trees and birds, but the question still lingers on...

2 comments:

Shruthi said...

Good question. And very very valid point. Your friend is very sensible indeed. I am not surprised you like talking to her :)
Oh btw I watched Bruce Almighty just yday, for the first time.

Viky said...

Oh, she's a sweetheart, I tell you. Like the time we had a conversation on love and arranged marriages, around the time I wrote this. That remains one of the best discussions I ever had with anyone. Sadly, we had a spat next day. One that, in spite of all ignorance we feign when we catch up, silently gnaws beneath.