Saturday, June 16, 2007

Sivaji...Cool


The hype: Sivaji released yesterday in 52 countries, amidst electric expectations of the combination of superstar Rajni, and prolific director Shankar. With a top secret plot, astoundingly hummable songs by Rahman, and the crowd pulling stature of Rajni, this was bound to create the wave it has. This broke all records for an Indian film in the UK, with back-to-back shows in five Cineworlds in London alone and upto two dedicated screens, in Cineworlds all over the UK. And boy, does the crowd love Rajni? In Milton Keynes, which has less of the Indian diaspora than other bigger cities in UK, I could get only the first day - third show, and many people watched standing. And once I came out, what do I see, the entire South Indian populace of our company and elsewhere making a beeline hours before the show, to get a good seat. Never before in my six months of Cineworlding (watching movies just for the heck of it) have I seen such a thing!!!

What's the Story? Just for this one movie, I will not reveal the story here - there are a lot of you guys out there who haven't got tickets yet, so won't kill your enthusiasm. :D

What's good in it: Shankar, like in Anniyan and Mudhalvan, again relies on his favourite plot of his protagonist fighting against a dishonest system - and does justice to it. The make-up artists have done a tremendous job, and Rajni looks much younger, younger than in Baba. But his age shows in his fight sequences. However, his mannerisms touch a new high - the way he bounces chewing gum into his mouth, the way he tosses up a coin and makes it land into his pocket etc. There are no particular punch dialogues though, like "Khatam gatam" or "Naan oru thadavai sonna, nooru thadavai sonna madiri". The closest which comes to it is "Coool".
Vivek, with his humour, provides excellent support to Rajni, and Shriya looks exceedingly beautiful. Suman is believable in his role as Adiseshan, and Manivannan stands out in his limited scope. Sets are artistically done for the songs, and Rahman provides superb music, the pinnacle being "Wah ji Wah ji Wah ji, en jeevan Sivaji".

Reco: If you go to watch it as a movie, you might be a tad disappointed, but if you go to watch it as a "Rajni movie", you will come out whistling and dancing "Dhingi-chaka-dhingi-chaka"!!!!

"Respect" and craze for the superstar was such that for the thirty-odd seconds where S-U-P-E-R-S-T-A-R R-A-J-N-I flashes across the screen at the beginning, the four screens nearby could have heard the cacophony of the whistles and cat-calls. I thought people would throw change as well, but they didn't. (I would have - I had even collected a sizeable number of 1p and 2p coins - I just got late, and forgot to pick them up)

Update: Don't miss the comment by Beryle here.

8 comments:

Beryle said...

Am I not jealous of the gone-site boys.. for the obvious reason !!

Believe me, you shouldn't be in Tamilnadu (or at least in Trichy, from my experience) if you want to watch a Rajni movie. (or any movie for that matter.. remember "Spiderman 3")

1. You wouldn't get the ticket for a couple of months.

eg. By the time someone managed to get the tickets for Padayappa, the movie had become (as) old (as Rajni), and that someone had already watched it 4 times on cable TV.

2. If you really want to "watch" a movie, you shouldn't go to theatre for a couple of months.

eg. Once the same someone was (un)fortunate to get the tickets a couple of weeks after the release of Muthu, (or, Arunachalam - don't remember), someone came out of the theatre without having heard a dialogue that Rajni spoke.

You go to theatre now, all you can hear will be whistling and screaming (thalaivaaa... dheivamae.. ) and people will be dancing on the seats.. throwing color papers (yes Viky, not coins.. because they wouldn't have any... they would've emptied their pockets to get the ticket)

A (crazy) fan paid 500 Rs + his watch for a ticket for Thalapathi (a.k.a. Dalapathi) first day first show (this was way back in 1991 - Diwali). Dad took us for that movie (in 1992 Jan), only after it crossed 100 days, and he had to pay in black (45 Rs per ticket - that was almost double the ticket amount)

In early 90s, 2 or 3 Rajni movies would be released every year. Every time a Rajni movie got released, there would be a Kamal movie for competition.. It was Rajni vs. Kamal all the time, and all Rajni fans literally hated Kamal, and vice-versa.

I remember "becoming" a Rajni fan after watching Rajadhi Raja, the movie that made him Super Star (late 80s, those days it was easier to get tickets). I watched it over 15 times, and I knew the dialogues by heart. Those were the days.. Sigh !! Baba (read "bae bae" - thats how it was called after its release) is the only Rajni movie where I dozed off..

And last but not the least, (read thalaivar style) Chandramukhi (one movie, many times.. thanks to me :D) is a movie I watched immediately after the release. You know that very well !!

And LTs in my Pune team have watched Sivaji, the Boss during the weekend.. I wish I hadn't taken a transfer :( (Sometime in April, I had actually asked them to book two tickets, one for me and another for Ayhay)

Now, I hear last week my dad had an idea of advance-booking tickets for Sivaji, the Boss for me and for himself (I bet he fell for the name Sivaji) Of course he coudn't get past my mum, despite my encouragement.. "Rajni padam paaka theatrekku padichavan evanaavadhu err.. yaaravadhu povaangala?? (will an educated person go to theare to watch a Rajni movie in the first 50 days)... you can hear this from her every single time a Rajni movie is released.. And yes, she likes Kamal better.. (mainly because he doesn't do "funny things".. )


By the way good review, Viky !! And you never showed me your collection of 1p and 2p coins..

Viky said...

Wowo...Beryle, now I know how people feel when I put in comments longer than their post itself.

chitra said...

i have read enough of Shivaji.

Rajni seems to bethe most favoured actors across the generations. my 11 year son and 3 year niece, both residing in Delhi also loves him.

Anonymous said...

egjalent....

Last I heard was no tickets for a week at PVR!!!

Anonymous said...

hi viky,
your "Sixkku appron seven da..
“Sivaji”kku appron evan da?" comment in mysorean's blog brought me here. and it has further inspired me to watch shivaji!

in this jubilation, i am honoured to blogroll Que Sera Sera.

have been a fan of your comments in shruthi's blog.

regards
rk

Anonymous said...

Rk:
ellaru fans ee Vikydu. Comments aagli, blogs aagli, Vikypaeru ketta odane chumma adhirudhille!

Viky:
Sooper review! Cooool!

Beryle said...

Shivaji yum naadhan.. MGR um naadhaan !!

Superrrr !!!!

Viky said...

Chitra, that's one thing that differentiates him from other "superstars".

goks, It got a dud opening in Mysore, though!!

rk, Sorry mate, I haven't been able to reply to this any earlier. Welcome!!! If the dialogues are the ones egging you on, I tell you, you will not be disappointed. Do let me know when you watch it. Through Shru, I have been a silent reader of your blog too.

Thank you, for rolling your blog on me, as well as increasing my fan base ;)

Mysorean, ello suTTu vasane barta unTu?, Ok Ok, when I parade around waving in an open jeep, do hold a placard, I will give you one of the garlands around me. ;)