Thursday, November 23, 2006

Firsts list

How many of you have a first-list - the first job, the first bike, the first house, the first kiss...you get the drift? Like Dr.Bhalerao says to Roy in Bluffmaster - tumhe kitne din yaad hain?, I have a mental "to-do" list, which I like to "Mark as Done" with a punch in the air, as and when I reach there. Some of my firsts have been highly fulfilling, like my laptop, which left me on cloud nineteen, or my first big splurge - 16k of hard-earned money on a cellphone. I still remember the feeling when I gingerly gave my card for swiping, wondering whether it was worth it.

Some of them were long overdue, like my bike. My bike was not the first vehicle I rode - I had a second-hand Hero Puch before, and an old family Luna before that, and hand-me-down cycles even before. My bike was not the first vehicle I bought - I bought a Scooty for dad before the bike. And so, the joy that MY bike was bought of my own money was overshadowed by a "Oh, you bought a bike? So what?" feeling. Nevertheless, I celebrate every small acquisition in my long list of "must-haves" I have been listing since college days. Some items on the list have been re-prioritised, some new items have gatecrashed and some items have been obfuscated.

And I remember each of these firsts - the offer letter - which was like a million prayers answered, the first big splurge - with the fear of repayment, the first salary (again, technically, the first salary was Rs.880, for a part-time job as a sales canvasser for Deccan Herald, which was joyfully spent on steaming idli-vada-sambar or set dosas for a whole month), the ride from the bike showroom to the office, the wide-eyed stare into the shining blackness of the laptop screen, the awe at the credit-card sized digital camera, which is smaller than my cellphone, the first of those stolen kisses (ever wondered how the sweetest of kisses are those that are stolen), the first of those innumerable whoops of joy at something finally working out, the first (and all) of those reunions of college friends and many many more....

Some time back, I struck one more entry off my list - I bought my first suit. And while I was it, I made it even more memorable by making it two.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yipee! i'm the first to comment on this one! :D so what's the occasion? will you invite me?

my first earnings was Rs. 350 as a computer instructor in a small place, and my mom still remembers the tongs (yes, tongs of all the things!) i bought for her with the money - not all the money, of course!! :D

ps: never thanked u for the special mention in ur earlier blog. thank you!

ano

muskaan said...

Yes Vikas, indeed all the firsts are very close to heart. Your "First list" reminded me of my many firsts .... including my first blog "http://u4me-muskaan.blogspot.com/2006/10/finally-u-for-me.html" ....... thanks !!!

Anonymous said...

Why not second-firsts?

*Clearing my throat to annoucne*

I just got myself a cycle to do some exercise! :)

Shark said...

The "firsts" are always so special..:) But I think even the seconds, thirds, fourths also should be appreciated ;-)

Viky said...

Aw, Ano, it was just the truth. And rest assured, if there is a occasion worth inviting, you will be on the list. :D

Muskaan, welcome. :D

Mysorean, you mean an exercycle...Why this sudden fitness mania? I'm sure the missus is behind all this. Wherever is the logic of 'round is also a shape'?

Shark, of course - I'm not taking anything away from the seconds, the thirds and the fourths. They are what make the first so special anyway.