Monday, August 07, 2006

Untimely Resolutions

I love books. I like to buy them and read, rather than borrow, because once I have read the book, I lose the interest to buy it anymore. At another point in life, I used to buy books off the footpath, because as much as I hated piracy, I loved books, and my pocket was too small to afford a new one. So, footpaths and second hand shops it was.

Now, I'm earning, so I don't mind spending on books. Sadly, that is also the case with things other than books. The result being running up huge bills on the credit card. Yes, I am one of those people who got financial independence and went on a shopping spree, only to find that living out of your means is suddenly very stifling, however nice your job may be. Having burnt fingers in that way, I cancelled many of my innumerable "lifetime free" cards, with the exception of a MasterCard and a Visa.

And I'm on a strict budget. It has been almost six months since I shopped anything (clothes/watch/shoes/shades/accessories). It has been a few months more that I have bought books/CDs. And no, in all these non-shopped months, I haven't saved money. I have managed to send home a fixed sum every month, a fine improvement on the sparse and undecided amounts I used to send home irregularly. I have managed to identify how much spare cash I am left with at the end of each month.

But of late, my wishlist is growing longer and longer, and my wardrobe looks outdated, and so I have decided that starting next month, I will buy one book, one CD and one piece of apparel every month. This fits nicely in my scheme of things. I also plan to put a little amount into an SIP. Those who have a good idea on markets can suggest an SIP which is doing good. Please drop some names in the comments.

It is with great reluctance I came out of Crossword empty-handed yesterday. And I'm not going there until next month. After days and days of just silent browsing in the store, I get a "Can I help you, sir?" five minutes after I enter.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how that feels - every time I try not to exceed my budget, I wind up doing exactly that. And it's so, so hard to say no to books!

ano

Viky said...

And you know, the fact that Shruthi is reviewing four books at a time is not at all helping.

I wonder how she manages to read so much. S must be cooking, for sure...illa andre chancay illa...

Mysorean said...

I can understand that feeling of coming out empty-handed from a bookstore/ CD store!

Actually came in to place a request. I saw your comment in Anu's blog on "Mysore" where you have written "Mysore is...". Can I copy and paste the comment as it is onto my blog as a main post? I will quote the source and also give a link to your profile page.

Please approve my request. Your comment almost made me cry!

Anonymous said...

i have found one effective way - i 'dont' buy at places where they dont give me 20% discount (or atleast 15%). the amount saved works out to be huge.
also, book exhibitions are the best (esp here). you get huge discounts :). kinda cuts down on impulsive shopping, but i prefer it to having huge credit card debts.

and while you are planning financially (monthly), why not plan to give away expensive gifts to old friends :P

and sip - http://www.valueresearchonline.com/ - if you have the time and drive to do some research.
hdfc prudence is pretty good. being a balanced fund, returns may not give you a high during a bull run, but wont probably give you a heart attack during a bear run either.
i believe hdfc long term advantage is very good too. and is covered under 80c. ie if you mind paying taxes.


and btw, your other blog requires a blogger account for commenting. thats not really fair :)

Shruthi said...

Oyee... commenting on the affairs of my home behind my back??? Grr Grrr!!!

Viky said...

Adi: Go ahead, Mysorean, how could I ever refuse it? BTW, which area?

Guru: I would have most generously gifted you books, ole friend, if it were not for your esoteric taste. From Computers to Psychology to Mathematics to Photography...

My only worry is I might end up giving you something you already read and have on your bookshelf. :P

Will go thru the fin site and relax rules for the other blog. Anything for your comments ;-)

Shru: It's true, isn't it? *devilish laughter*

Mysorean said...

Viky:
Thanks for approving! Now I need to ask shruthi for permission to pick it up from her blog.

Yadavagiri was where I stayed for 7 years. Then was in Jayanagar for another 4 years during engg (NIE).

What about you?

Shruthi said...

Viky, do go and read my new post - it is all about Reading as a hobby - and some of your questions should get answered ;)

Viky said...

Adi: I was fulltime in Jayanagar only...behind Computer Paradise...Didn't run into you in Jayanagar...You used to frequent Satish Library? Or maybe Sanketi hostel?

Shru: All in good time...

Mysorean said...

Viky:
Maybe we have run into each other. I was always around in those areas only. Sanketi hostel was where I used to have my Breakfast/ Lunch and Dinner though I stayed in the road next to the Rama Mandira. 16th cross was it?! Oh man, I don't remember the cross road number! Che.. che..

Satish Library is where I used to frequent more regularly than anywhere else in Jayanagar. To watch those cricket score updates of course!

Where did you do your engineering from? Which batch?

Mysorean said...

Well, I don't even know if you did your engg or not. Just a wild assumption!

Viky said...

Adi: This is getting too close for comfort. I was always at Satish Library and Anand's tea joint.

I did my engg in Mandya, commuted all four years, but I did take Maths tuitions from Badrinarayan, who stayed right behind the Ram Mandir.

The cybercafe bang opposite Ram Mandir is my classmate's. Now tell me, quick, which batch were you?

Viky said...

Oh!! You asked me first. I am of the 2004 batch.

Mysorean said...

Batch of 2001. NIE Mech.

I don't know how we missed each other.

Chitra said...

Hyuck hyuck...join the gang :)!