Friday, March 02, 2007

I dream of ...

... a lot of things, because I remember them in the half-awake moments when I pull the blanket tighter around me. But once I am fully awake, they have fully evaporated from my memory. Even so, there are a few which are clear, and come back to me when I’m day-dreaming while waiting or travelling.

The most common, of course, is the one where I fall off a cliff. But unlike her, I don’t develop wings, I just fall…I enjoy the breathless drop at some breakneck speed, and fall with a thud on my bed. This “thud” would usually be a sudden rolling over, accompanied by an awakening jerk. I hated this dream for the reason that it always woke me up half an hour before the alarm sounded – and it put me in a bad mood because the knowledge that the alarm would sound in 30 minutes would deprive me of any sleep lingering in my drowsy eyelids. Now though, the dream has stopped appearing – largely due to the fact that when I started falling, I would realise that it was close to half-an-hour before the alarm sounded, and I shut the alarm off even before it sounds…he he he!!!

Another consistently appearing dream is the one where my daughter is ice-skating (or doing something similar, which requires her to glide on a smooth surface) and she wants me to come see her perform, but somehow I can’t seem to make it. And it so happens that at the end of her skating, she tends to fall, and I somehow come up from behind, grab her waist and we do a lap of the rink, to standing ovation. It leaves me with goose-pimples, and I don’t know what happens before, or what happens after that. I don’t even wake up then – I only remember in the morning that I dreamt about it.

And there are the ones where I dream about a lot of insignificant things in advance, as if a few friends are sitting and discussing some movie together. Or that we are gathered in some unknown place over a dinner. Much later, when we are actually discussing a movie or sitting at a friend's place, I remember that I had “been here” before – that the guys were wearing the same clothes; that we are talking on the same topic. It’s an uncanny sense of déjà vu. (In order to explain it better, I came across and ended up seeing Déjà vu, which is not that bad a movie, after all) But what I feel is explained to the T by this quote of Dickens – “We have all some experience of a feeling, that comes over us occasionally, of what we are saying and doing having been said and done before, in a remote time – of our having been surrounded, dim ages ago, by the same faces, objects, and circumstances – of our knowing perfectly what will be said next, as if we suddenly remember it!”

In the process I also learnt that when I feel that I was "there" before, it is a particular type of deja vu, known as deja vecu; that when I know that I'm falling and decide to get up, I'm actually undergoing what is known as lucid dreaming, and that jamais vu is the opposite, when you can't remember something despite knowing that you have been there - Like you know that you have seen that face somewhere, but don't know when and where!!! (Happens to us guys all the time :D) Some gyan, eh??!!! Shru, thanks for the tag, I didn't know these before.

More later... :D

2 comments:

Shruthi said...

Well done tag! :)) Btw, daughter?? Daughter???? Am I missing something here? ;)

Viky said...

No!!!