Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Goosepimples...

...rise on my arms, even as I read my own article on Mysore, which Churumuri carries here.

A big thank you to Churumuri, for carrying my article, and to Shastri, for pointing it out to me. You guys made my day. I am proud that my writing found its way into a forum where titans like T.S Satyan, T.J.S George, Bhamy Shenoy and Sunaad Raghuram muse, and all the more because I did not have to do anything for it (except the writing, of course).

As email forwards, my article seems to have reached into the hearts of every software engineer either from Mysore, or who has done engineering in Mysore. Immense joy comes when they think it has been scripted by somebody from SJCE. Ironically, this "somebody from SJCE" did his engineering in neighbouring Mandya. I guess the assumption is because I have mentioned Jayciana right after the NIE-SJCE feud.

I also see, by the time Churumuri carried it, well-meaning people have tweaked the text to include their favourite hang-outs, which were missed out. Phalamrutha joins Penguin as a ice-cream joint, and GTR dosa sits pretty with the Mylari dosa I had mentioned. In retrospect, when I go through the comments of everyone of you guys - Adi, Shark, Vamshi (thank you all for carrying it as a main post) and of course, Anu (who brought me to that frame of mind here, in the first place), I do realise that I missed out mentioning quite a lot of things - some which I had experienced, some which I had not - I intend to, on my next visit.

Coming back to churumuri, there ensues an oft-repeated discussion in the comments section - how Mysore was polluted by the influx of IT community. Well, I will not get drawn into that debate, I have only this much to say - Striving to help Mysore retain its status as heritage city does not mean depriving it of development. If we are doing it even unconsciously, then we are doing a great disservice to the city which we love so much.

And before I end, a few gems which elicited wide smiles on this already radiant face - Nostalgic Mysorean says, "Surely this sums up the Mysore I lived in from 1948-1965", and Jeevarathna says "This is actually from Infosys bill board by a infosyan and not meant for public circulation". Really?

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

**applaud**

but i dont like the idea of the article being modified. yes, there are things that one might like to add, to cater to his/her own individual experiences and tastes. but what you wrote was your perception of mysore.

may be you should leave some hidden clues (leading back to your blog) in your articles ;)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! That's fantastic!

ano

Author said...

when I saw that comment which said this is from Infy bulletin board I was like ***GGGRRRRR***.. Someone did post it on the Infy bulletin board and of course without acknowledgements and I replied with your credits. Clever how some people can be so careless when they post something on a public forum.
I have a feeling that the guy who posted it first almost had an ulterior motive to claim the writing as his own. *SICK*.
Thank Google plagiarism is not difficult to detect now.

Well, all this comes with fame I guess ;)
Enjoy the limelight.

Shark said...

Well... we get so many "lift-offs" from Infosys bulettin boards these days... if something happens the other way round.. it's nothing surprising ;-)
I get atleast 3 forwards in a week.. .which is some conversation in Infosys BB... :D
But anyway if your artcile lands in the Infy BB.. then your future is done ;-) It will go across the world within seconds... Enjoy!

Mohan said...

Yes, congratulations on the well deserved publicity that the post is getting. As a Mysorean myself, I could identify with most of those.

Viky said...

Guru: Thank you!!! I don't mind their additions, as long as they don't delete anything from it.

Yeah, I'm thinking I will weave in tell-tale signs into it :D

Ano Thanks !!!

Shruthi said...

That is soooo cooooool!!!!!
I told you it deserves to be a post!!

Shruthi said...

I received your mail, Viky, and I have mailed you back from another id. I guess you haven't received that one, yet.

Viky said...

Shastri: Thanks mate. :D
I used to read churumuri weeks ago, I am a big fan of Murthy AngaDi. But of late, all you are getting on it are forwarded jokes, ever since they started the "Jokes of the Week". Thanks once again for pointing me back to Churumuri.

Shark: I know :D. I'm waiting for it to land up in my inbox now. :D

Mohan: Thank you.

Viky said...

Shru: Thank you!!! Yes, it deserved to be a post - and it was. A main post on atleast four blogs, I can't ask for more, can I?

Though I now wish one of those four had been mine :D

I haven't received the mail. Will check today.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!

Mysorean said...

Main post on four blogs!

Happy to be the one who started it all! It deserved to be wherever it is right now and much more too! :)

Viky said...

Vidya: Thank you!!!

Adi: Mate, what can I say to you??? Thanks a ton ^:)^

Anonymous said...

Wonderful write up!!! *** applause and whistles *** ;)
Makes me feel proud!!
And the next time we meet up i promise a treat at Mylari and Phalamrutha !! :)

Viky said...

Thank you, Naveen. BTW, you are Naveen from PESCE or VVCE???

Anonymous said...

will make sure i wont confuse u the next time around.. :)

Viky said...

Full seeTi, PES Naveen. Didn't know you read my blog too. Me full khush!!!

Anonymous said...

Am a regular kano :)
If i could send some crap mails as forwards then i can for sure make ur write up a forward too :)
And dont worry its not by a SJCEite or Infosys bulletin board proprietary stuff..the blogs link is mentioned..so watch out for that visiters count..its going to shoot up soon :)
U deserve it!!

Sudhakar said...

Vicky:

Great work and you deserve all the accloades...

I like the way you respond to your comments ,more than the content you actually write..

Viky said...

Thanks, Naveen. It is in times like these I feel like kicking myself for not having posted it on my blog.

Sudhakar: :D LOL. I think it is because it takes less effort ;)

Anu said...

Lovely! I have just reentered blogosphere after many weeks away and Adi directed me here and to churmuri. Evidently your comment/post struck a chord in every Mysorean who read it! Proud to have 'hosted' it!!:))

Viky said...

Anu: Thank you, for bringing me to that frame of mind, where I could write about Mysore with such passion.

And welcome back!!! :D

the-think said...

I don't really remember when I went to Mysore, but the place has a certain royal quietness and charm which I wouldn't mind going back to.
Planning to go there this Dussera :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Viky, came across your write up on Mysore, as usual...as a forward...and i did the same... A forward (to the cftri school Alumni). This time acknowledging that i dont know the writer ;-).

Nice stuff...esp the jayciana evoked memories(was part of it in '95)

Cheers & move on...whatever the problem...nothin's permanent.

Kiran Hegde

Viky said...

The-Think: Lucky you, visiting Mysore during Dussehra. :D

Kiran: Thank you!!! Jayciana is more professionally run now. I saw till '04.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!